Monday, February 14, 2011

Dirty shoes.


I believe....in dirty shoes. There is something satisfying about slipping your feet into a well worn pair of shoes. Lets face it, I’m a shoe-aholic but I absolutely hate breaking in new shoes. To me shoes tell a story. The brand, color, and make of the shoe all tell me something about the person wearing them. Everyone has their own shoe style whether they like to admit it or not. They may wear heels everyday, like a girl I knew in Jr. High, I personally don’t believe in putting my feet through that kind of torture. Some strictly wear sandals, whether sunshine or snow, sandals are the way to go…that to me is crazy, nothing more attractive than a strappy tan line across your foot. I contradict my shoe style so much I confuse myself. I will obsess over a different style every few months, unfortunately being a poor college student I can’t always indulge in my wants. Through the years my shoe obsession has kept my shoe collection well stocked. I have 8 pair of heels, have 7 colors of vans, 3 colors of toms (soon to be 4 when I get some expected money!), 1 pair of converse, 1 pair of boots, a collection of sandals and flats, and my newest edition…my pair of gorgeous leather Oxfords!!  While I have all these shoes I often feel like a wasteful person.  As I get ready in the morning and look at my collection of shoes, my hand immediately goes for my black Toms, a staple in my shoe diet. These Toms are beginning to turn from black to gray, the soles are wearing down, and holes are beginning to appear. Most would toss them insignificantly in the trash realizing fully that there purpose has been served and their life is over. Me….I cant let them go. I have to many great memories in them, 1st day of college, dancing in the rain, hot tubing, hobbit-ville, Gateway, insane dances, making new friends, hot cocoa, night games, hours of studying in the library, happy times, sad times, crazy times, tearful times. They have molded to my feet, when I put them on they fit exact. Their not my friends, my families, but mine. These shoes are filled with memories. So yes, I believe in dirty worn shoes. It’s a symbol of living. Going through each day step by step. As Bill Murray said while playing his wonderful role as Bob, baby steps.  I prefer taking life a step at a time. Enjoy whats around you, wear out your shoes with adventure! Lets all take baby steps together, taking each step in the mud to get those shoes worn and dirty!


No comments:

Post a Comment