Monday, January 27, 2014

Corner By the Post

It’s starting to get cold....Boo! We have been sooo lucky with the weather! But the air is crisp and the slight occasional wind doesn’t help! But that doesn’t stop us from doing what we need to do. We were fortunate for the sunshine for a few days! I am really liking Soeur Bowman as a companion. She is a hard worker and she goes with the flow. Which I am grateful for because I decided that I need to better myself in all areas. Become just a little more than yesterday. Continue to progress—baby steps. So any second we didn’t have something planned, we made sure there was not one minute wasted by sitting down. We were out of the apartment contacting, contacting, contacting. We talked about it as a companionship and decided that we wanted to be diligent 100% because that is the key to happiness. Boy, oh boy, were we diligent! It brought so many blessings. One blessing in particular was Sophie. Before we met Sophie we were on our 3rd day straight of contacting. But trying to remain positive, we kept our heads high and smiles on our faces! About midway through the day, we contacted Sophie. She was at the corner by the post (hence the title of this week's email).  She immediately stopped and said, "What a coincidence! I have been searching for a Christian church! I am looking to be baptized." #shockedoutofourminds.  We talked to her for the next 10 minutes and she related some stories which she said have "prepared her" for something like what we had. In fact, just before meeting her she was at FNAC (a bookstore) buying self-help books. She is looking for the way to find true happiness. We told her that we had the best self-help book and we would give it to her for free—The Book of Mormon. The contact was so filled with the spirit. We were crying, the spirit was touching our hearts and hers, and we could feel something that a lot of our other Amis are missing: DESIRE. She had a real desire and wanted the truth. It was clear she was willing to do the necessary steps to know. Soeur Bowman and I walked away completely touched by the spirit. I know God placed us in her path. And I know He placed her there because we were being diligent with what we have been asked to do. We set a Rendezvous for this Thursday, so everyone start PRAYING YOUR GUTS OUT FOR HER! While me and Soeur Bowman have been doing everything we can think of to be diligent it has brought a lot of opposition. Nearly all our Amis are acting less committed than before. It is hard for me to not visit our amis because I truly care for their well being and I know that the Gospel could bless their lives. But I know that if we show our faith to the Lord and work to find the people who are committed or ready for the gospel, then God will fill the spot with others who are. Gulp. 
This week we were able to find several service opportunities. We have been doing weekly service for a potential Ami  for the past month or so. She LOVES us! She told me yesterday that she feels like a Grandma and we are the grandkids. Before we come to visit, she is so excited and after we leave, she is exhausted! Hahaha! She calls us her daughters. She has had VERY rough family situations all growing up. Every time I leave I always ask myself...why am I so blessed to be born into the beliefs, home, and family I have? I am so blessed.  She has struggled with health for years now. Her kids have disowned her and want nothing to do with her. She is lonely. It’s been a wonderful opportunity to see her weekly and build her faith. She said, "I can’t wait until everything in my apartment is in order so we can focus more on spiritual things." She really needs the love the gospel can bring. She is so generous as well. Each time we leave our hands are full of food and clothes! So generous. 
We had a Sunday night dinner with La famille Arnaud, La famille Gonan, Arsene, and Amyeric. It was a blast...and sooooo delicious! It reminded me of good old family dinners with the family! We all laughed A LOT!  I even did my famous party trick! (aka wowed them with my skill of throwing whipping cream in the air and catching in my mouth). Haha!  It was a hit and everyone wanted to learn! I love this Branch sooo much! Frère Gonan gave a talk this Sunday how we are literally here to have Joy!  It was an inspiring Sunday filled with the spirit! I have really been building a great relationship with some of the members, Fr. Gonan, Sr. Arnaud, Barbara, and Fr. Munn Jr. Fr. Munn Jr. and I have had some great laughs! I just love my mission. I love that I can joke around in a different language! The best compliment my new comp gave me during companionship inventory was you are able to be yourself in English and French. You are the same person, she said. SCORE! That was one of the goals I set for myself my second transfer in the mission. The Lord has blessed me with great opportunities with the Language! He answers prayers!! How grateful I am for a loving Heavenly Father who loves us and takes the time to respond to our personal requests and needs. 
I have also realized how accustom I have become to being in France. Things like fresh street vendor Nutella Crepes and gorgeous architecture have become normal—rough life! I have been making a mental effort to really appreciate where I am right now and all the experiences I have had and can continue to enjoy!! I am hitting 10 months on Feb 3rd...WHAT THE HECK?  Has anyone figured out how to slow down time?!
If my calculations are correct, TJ can turn his papers in this week or next.  Right? I am waiting in anticipation and even dedicated my decorated planner in his Honor :) I am soooo excited for him to get out in the field and experience the joys I am experiencing each day! Hope the family is going well other wise!! 

Pray for us with our efforts! We are trying really hard so we can find success! 

Challenge of the week: Make Hawaiian Haystacks and watch the movie, South Pacific. I don’t know why that is the challenge for the week. Maybe because I am really missing warm weather!! C'est la vie!

ps. The title of the Email is where we met Sophie.....its a blessed spot :) 


Sachiez que je vous aime!! Bonne Semaine!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment