Monday, January 20, 2014

January 13, 2014 - Snow Angels in the Alps

It continues to amaze me how fast transfers go by and here I am with one week before yet another transfer?  This is getting unreal. I was just looking at my little 18-month calendar thinking, “wow by the end of next transfer, I will really by on the downhill slide.” *sniffle, sniffle* I was feel like I just got to Chambéry and now the thought of possibly leaving is heart breaking. I have been really thinking about the work I have been doing and the life and work of a missionary. It’s a very sacred experience because everything you do as a missionary is directly related to love. But not just any love, it is the love of Christ. I am finding that the love of Christ holds a lot of power. This is the power to allow forgiveness, to change hearts, to mend relationships, and to grow friendships in deep and lasting ways. When I first got to Chambéry, and I’m not going to lie, I didn’t like it at all. But through hard work and the love of Christ, I love this area with all my heart. That just shows that through the work of the Lord or the work of pure love, we can truly change. My heart has been completely changed. I am soo, soo grateful for the lessons I have learned in Chambéry. And it may or may not continue....on verra!! Friday!! (gulp, yikes!) 
This week was full of many fun adventures, contacts, and miracles.  We did an exchange in Anmasse with the Sister Training Leaders. It was a delightful experience. I was with Soeur O'connor! She is French Polynisian! She is probably the best sister missionary I have ever come across.  She is outstanding. She teaches and contacts people with such power and love. I learned a lot. She is a native French speaker so it was really fun to speak French all day learning new words and joking around! We had some really great conversations and laughs. One of the best conversations we had was her telling me about her life story. It was amazing. Her mother was a member but there was no church, no materials—nothing. So she did what she could and read the Bible every night with her children and taught them what Primary songs she new. Song like I am a Child of God. Her mother prayed and prayed for missionaries to come to the island to baptize her family with the proper authority. One day, a single Elder showed up on the island. They asked him why he was alone and what he was doing there. He said he didn’t even know, but his President told him to come. While he was there, he baptized her family. They were the only members on the island and so they held church in their living room. But her mother was very missionary minded and was all about sharing the gospel. Eventually the church grew and they held it in their garage. Eventually they built a building for themselves! Last she heard they now have over 65 members!!! All this started from her mother doing everything she could with what she had! I was basically in tears by the end of it. She has such an amazing story.
She saw her first revolving door (like in the movie, Elf) on the mission. Her first elevator was when she was 17 and she just kept saying, "IT WAS LIKE THE MOVIES WITH THE DING WHEN THE DOORS OPENED AND EVERYTHING!!" She is the greatest!  She is such a trooper also. She is having feet problems right now and is in loads of pain but refuses to let that stop her! I sympathize with her!! She only has one pair of shoes. And it’s not a good pair. If possible I would love to get her some nice sturdy shoes.  I will try to find her size and maybe if everyone could pitch in a few dollars to buy a pair that would be a huge blessing for her! She has never worn closed toed shoes before her mission! I was truly inspired after our exchange!! 
While I was on my exchange, I got to meet a nice old (really old) couple. The little old grandma pulled me aside and said, "vient vient" aka come here! Hahaha. I followed behind her and she took me into her room. She took my over to the far corner where there was a small crib.  Inside the crib was a baby doll. She began to explain to me about her adorable little "baby" and how it has been in her life for the past 40 years lying in the crib so peacefully.  Soeur O'Conner came in and her eyes about fell out of her head. Hahaha. She was trying real hard not to show how creeped-out I was. I just continued to keep the smile I had manage to plaster on my face. It was kind of creepy. But between the baby doll in her bedroom and the giant stuffed tiger that sat on her couch, I would say that’s pretty normal. Old people + France = not good combo. 
If I do end up leaving Chambéry, I don’t know what I will miss more—Chambéry or the Sisters that I am serving with currently. They are such a blessing! Soeur Witt, Soeur DeO, and Soeur Beeny!! We have had loads of opportunities to work with the other Sisters because 1) Chambéry is tiny.  It’s impossible not to run into them, and 2) it’s been the holidays! I just love them!! We all decided to match for District meeting. Now, this wasn’t just that we all wore the same color matching...no, no, no, my friends, this is the Chambéry Soeurs we are talking about!! We all wore the same dress, same color, and the same pattern. I laughed the whole day because we looked more like an American High School Choir! They are great and hard workers! Gotta love 'em! 
We had the fabulous opportunity to go snowshoeing in the Alps. IT WAS UNREAL. The mountains are gorgeous!! I love the outdoors!  I wasn’t cold once!! The sun was shining and the mountains were peaceful! While there of course I did a few essentials (making a snow angel and a snow man). I knew I would regret it if I didn’t take the opportunity!! I handed my comp my camera and plopped down into the snow and began the "angel" we all had a good laugh, especially when the rest of them did the same thing!! :) The rest of the hike was filled with getting stuck in mud and porting Indian teepees...but those are stories for another day! I am putting pictures of all this on dropbox! It was such a wonderful experience!! I am so grateful for the member that took us!!

PS: It was Soeur Beeny’s Bday this week....she turned 20.  My goodness, I feel like a grandma out here! Hahaha. We were able to celebrate with Eduardo's daughters Petra (16) and Dorkis (17)....they LOVE US! Petra made two cakes, we blew out candles, and popped a bottle of...non-alcoholic champagne! It is such a blessing to work with their family. Keep praying for them! I truly love, love, love Chambéry. I don’t know what is in store for me next transfer but I am looking forward with a giant smile and bright eyes because I know and trust God. Thanks for your continued support and love. Above all your prayers! I love you all!! Weird to think next email I could be in a different part of France...any guesses?? :) Until next week!! 


Challenge for the Week: Listen to the Some Where Over the Rainbow version with a big Polynesian dude singing and the ukulele....Malheureusementz? I cant remember his name! Anyways listen to that and imagine me and a French Polynesian missionary boppin' down the streets of France.  

No comments:

Post a Comment